Old December 16th 10, 02:53 PM posted to rec.backcountry,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

Default Opus regrets

"Bruce Jensen" wrote in message
On Dec 14, 11:26 am, you wrote:
In article ,
"Edward Dolan" wrote:
Once at Glacier National Park there was a dad with his kids telling
them
that the animal coming at them was a moose. My God, it was a grizzly
bear! I
told everyone to run for their lives and we all got back in our cars
tout
suite!

What an insightful Story.... Uncle Eddie, the Great Outdoorsman, sees
Rocky Mountain Brown Bear, and tells everyone to "Run for their
lives".... That is exactly the WRONG thing to do when meeting a Brown
Bear in the bush.... it is just to [too] bad that he didn't munch
you....
Eddie the Great DUFUS.....

[...]

No "Brown" bears in the lower 48, which are a subspecies of grizz

(Ursus Arctos). We have Grizz in Yellowstone, Idaho, the Mission Mts,
Bob Marshall Wilderness and Glacier; maybe some in far northeastern
Washington state and the North Cascades; and black bear many places;
that's it. No grizz in Colorado (to speak of) in decades.

Mr. Sherman says just the opposite of you. Who am I to believe, you or him?
What a question! You are a retard and Mr. Sherman always makes sure of his
facts before spouting off. The subspecies is the grizz, not the brown.
Zoology 101

You don't run away from either one; you cannot outrun either, and both

have a modest chase instinct. With a grizz, you respectfully walk
away backwards gently, not meeting his gaze, and talking evenly. With
a black bear, you generally do the same, if you feel like it, although
he's likely to run before you have the chance. I've never had trouble
with either variety. Ed, however, makes his own trouble so he can
talk about it afterwards online...'cause he's a 'tard :-D.

The bear was sufficiently far enough away that walking away from it would
have been a retarded thing to do. It is best to run when running is called
for. It is wonderful to observe all the wild life experts who mange to get
themselves killed or mauled because they think they know more than they do.
Anyone who generalizes about bear behavior is a fool. Hell Bells, even the
bear does not know what it is going to do!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka