Old February 22nd 11, 07:53 PM posted to rec.backcountry,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc
Brad Anders

Default So, what happened to Mikey "Handsaw" V?

FYI, if you're wondering where the beginning of Vandeman's obsession
with MTB's came from, it was due to a single encounter with MTB riders
on a trail Vandeman was hiking on in the early 1990's. Combined with
his failure to generate any interest in his anti-automobile positions,
and his generally obsessive nature on any environmental topic, he
latched on to this as an "early adopter" against MTB's. He's not
interested in the impacts of equestrians or off-road vehicles, because
in those areas, he doesn't seem himself as a pioneer and a leader,
because many others were ahead of him.

BTW, one of the things that I had to laugh about when I saw Peter's
blog about his defense opening statement is how the attorney
emphasized his employment with Pac Bell for 20+ years as an example of
what a stable citizen he is. Every time we confronted Vandeman with
the fact that his employer destroyed miles of habitat and killed
thousands of trees (telephone poles) and caused far more damage in
California than all MTB'ers combined, he would dodge the issue by
saying "You don't know where I work!". Well, Mike, now that it's
public record, I guess it's time for you to answer those questions we
posed so long ago.

I'm not holding my breath.