Old June 3rd 20, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Groupsets

On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 16:28:48 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 6/3/2020 3:33 PM, wrote:

The end result would be a shifting/braking system that has extremely light touch without ever having to recharge a battery. What do you gain by electronic shifting other than automatic compensation for front chain-line?

I'm puzzled by the high value some people place on a "light touch,"
whether braking or shifting. ISTM light acting controls are a benefit
only up to a point.

Brakes that can lock a wheel with a few ounces of lever force make no
sense to me.

Yes, shifters shouldn't take a full handshake grip to move; but
everything since the invention of SunTour's ratchet shifters seem light
enough to me. I certainly have no trouble clicking a bar end index lever.

Are people's fingers too tired because of excessive typing?

But Frank. It's New! Its Electric (or hydraulic) and It Costs More....
It's gotta be better!

I've still got down tube friction shifters on my Bangkok Bike. I took
a short ride last Sunday while we were in town and the shifters
worked! Just like thay have worked for probably the last 30 years :-)
--
cheers,

John B.