Old June 19th 20, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Weeks

Default Prayer request

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 5:55:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:

The First Amendment "Establishment" and "Free Exercise" clauses mean that the government cannot advance one religion over another religion, or religion over non-religion. That's what a *secular* government is.

If I am a member of the government I have every right to exercise my religion and to openly tout it should I prefer. What other people think of that is another thing altogether.

You certainly have the right to exercise your religion, and even to tout it.. But you may not do so while in the uniform of your government office or during government functions, because that gives the appearance of advancing ("establishing") your religion with the backing of the government.