Old June 22nd 20, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Bigger handlebar bag

On 6/22/2020 3:48 PM, wrote:
Bigger handlebar bag? Why? I know the description talked about big, huge bikes needing a bigger bag to fit proportionately. But a small, medium sized bag would work just fine too. I have a medium sized handlebar bag on my loaded touring bike. Cannondale, back (1980s) from when Cannondale was a big name in loaded touring with bikes and bags. It is the perfect size and WEIGHT for holding small stuff I need during the day. Money, maps, snacks. I always keep it lightweight. When you start adding lots of weight to the handlebars, it does affect the steering. That is bad. Is Jan Heine trying to get all his customers to crash their bikes with big heavy handlebar bags? I would say YES. Why does Jan want to injure his customers?

I have one friend who asked stability or handling questions about my
handlebar bags, but I've never noticed the slightest problem.

It could be my personal history. I spent years as a teen delivering a
large paper route by bike. I rode miles daily up driveways, hurrying
around parked cars and other obstacles with at least four cubic feet of
newspapers in a huge front basket, so I'm comfortable with a front load.
In fact, on some solo tours, I've used no rear panniers, just a big
handlebar bag and two front panniers.

Related: We've had our Bikes Friday in Europe for three trips. For the
longest one we used their trailer scheme, but trailers are a hassle for
train travel as well as other times. For the next two trips I used a
Rick Steves backpack sitting vertically on a low rear rack. (The Friday
has 20" wheels.)

In my view, this was better than the trailer, but the load decreased the
nimbleness of the bike, partly because of the low weight on the front
tire. Also, the Friday has no top tube, and the absence of that tube
between my thighs plus the tall load made it too easy for the bike to
topple while I was standing over it while stopped.

I've given some thought to using the Rick Steves backpack mounted on a
low front rack instead. I think I'd have better control in most situations.

--
- Frank Krygowski