Old June 12th 21, 09:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Default Bikes and Riding

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 2:55:38 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 3:11:10 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Supposedly this is a technical advice group. There is in general very little of that and instead people who know very little about the subject criticizing those who do.

Be that as it may, this is still a bicycle technical advice group and should remain as such with the usual flights of fancy by those who think while they are riding.

I use Chinese Carbon deep Aero wheels. Since these are widely used around the world it isn't as if they don't know what they are doing. I've used them a lot and the one real weakness is that carbon simply brakes crappy. This is somewhat ameliorated by using Campagnolo carbon specific brake shoes, but it is still a problem if not as bad.

Aluminum rims as everyone knows stop quite well though there has recently been arguments of whether disks are better still. My experience with disks is that they are too far in the opposite direction and are far too easy to lock the wheels. Being KING of fall downs I know what that can mean.

So I have bought Campagnolo and Fulcrum Italian aluminum wheels quite a bit but then miss the aero advantage of the carbon wheels.

This was changed by the Pro-Lite Brachiano wheels that are 42 mm Aero section aluminum wheels. These wheels are undetectably less aero than the 50 mm carbon wheels I've been using. Their one weakness is that they are set up for Tubeless use which means that it is difficult to mount and dismount tires for repairs. Not impossible on the roads but neither is it user friendly.

So I have turned to Chinese carbon aero section wheels that have aluminum braking surfaces and clincher design. These mount and dismount wheels just like the old time wheels did.https://www.ebay.com/itm/20238188248...53.m2749.l2649 Superteam wheels are very well built and obviously constructed on the machine i previously described. They arrived perfectly straight and round not showing any problems whatsoever.

They have an added advantage. The failure mode of Aero carbon wheels is that if you overfill them (put in too much pressure) the carbon wheels will delaminate. These Superteam wheels with aluminum braking surfaces have an entire aluminum rim embedded in them and should be completely proof against that failure.

They are more expensive to replace than the disks and pads on a disk bike but not by much as you can see. And these prices are a lot higher than they were under Trump

So there is an answer to poor braking and Aero sections that doesn't explode your pocketbook.

Do you actually ride down the road on those wheels -- with the giant, fluorescent puke-green SUPER TEAM logos? That's like screaming, "I'm riding cheap Chinese carbon wheels!" https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/kWcAA...NT/s-l1600.jpg I'd be embarrassed. You should hit those with a heat gun and peel off the logos, assuming the heat doesn't cause the sidewalls to delaminate.

-- Jay Beattie.

Maybe with matching colors of the frame and cycling clothes...Nah.....

Lou