Old June 14th 21, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default LA News today

On 6/10/2021 7:30 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://ktla.com/morning-news/techno...ve-richontech/

I think that the future of non-car transportation (other than for dense
cities) is a combination of personal mobility devices with a safety net
of on-demand shuttles that supplements a very few bus or light-rail lines.

When I was a local elected I had to deal with my county's highly
dysfunctional public transit system which has the poorest fare recovery
of any transit system in the U.S. (and possibly the world)--we're #1
http://ti.org/antiplanner/?p=289. My City ended up starting up our own
shuttle system because it was clear that we would never be able to get
adequate service from the County system which is basically controlled by
San Jose.

Electric personal mobility devices are the only hope of getting more
people out of their cars since they are faster and more convenient than
most public transit. I'd rather spend $40 million to provide 40,000
electric bicycles than to use it build one mile of a light rail system.
If we can subsidize electric cars with tax credits we can be doing the
same with electric bicycles.