Old June 15th 21, 03:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Sheldon Brown site

On 6/14/2021 4:07 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 10:55:52 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 4:35:41 AM UTC+1, wrote:

I don't want to pass around copies until I get permission from John
Allen and/or Harriet Fell. Today (June 13) is the closing day, and I
really don't want to bother them right now. My main concern is to
make sure nothing is lost and that's mostly accoplished (after I check
the download to make sure there's no corruption).

A proper place, especially if a copy can be obtained that reflects Sheldon's own version on the last day he worked on the site, is www.gutenberg.org which probably has a better chance of surviving than any individual's site.

Ummm... that's for eBooks, not web sites. It would not be easy
converting an interactive web site into a static collection of
documents or a book.

Much of https://www.sheldonbrown.com is already archived:
https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://sheldonbrown.com
I can see that there has been some recent changes to the archived
site. I'm getting quite a few 404 (nobody home) errors and suspect I
know the cause (static links). Since someone else seems to be working
on the site, this would be a good time for me to fade back into
obscurity and return to whatever it is I should be doing.

A reliable source tells me sheldonbrown.com is not going away, even
though Harris Cyclery is. I'm told not to worry.

--
- Frank Krygowski