Old June 15th 21, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default More Shifting Problems

On 6/15/2021 5:30 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 11:07:19 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

I think he tried to correct this at home, and it didn't work. It still shifted poorly. If he was putting his derailleur into the spokes, I wouldn't be surprised if he had a bent hanger.

Different bikes but what actually happened was that I installed an off-the-shelf rear derailleur and I expect I only set the lower limit. The upper limit screw was two full turns out of adjustment. Shifting EASY acted fine like Lou is trying to imply. But hitting a steep hill and having to shift pretty hard halfway up that 11%. It just pushed right over the large cog. Because the hill was so steep as soon as power came off the bike stopped. So no damage. But I assumed that the limit screw was just set a little off and loosened the cable a little. This worked fine except I would have to slightly overshift to get the middle gears to shift. And I was more careful to shift into low.

Yes. And I would have tightened the derailleur's low gear limit screw,
instead of loosening the cable. Shifting would have remained just as
good as before in the middle gears.

--
- Frank Krygowski