Old September 27th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

Default Triton Sponge frames... titanium trials.

maestro8 wrote:
Still no offers of bearing holder plans?

Seriously... someone get me some plans, or at least some measurements
of bearing holders. There are loads of machinists in my area... I'm
sure I can find one to make a prototype if I look hard enough.

Why not just measure the ones on your Unicycle and draw up some plans?

maestro8 wrote:
So are you qualifying or disqualifying yourself from this discussion?
Your post seems to go both ways.

Don't insult the dudes who've spent years honing their craft in a
machine shop, saying their job can be done by any literate person. Not
that I'm one of 'em, but I know some, and they're serious about their
work.

Well the key word is decent quality.

I have family members who run CNC machines making engine parts and
other random stuff, but they can't machine worth a crap manually...

I'm not bringing down any machinists, I didn't say it was easy to make
super high quality parts, I said that anyone who can read CNC code can
make some decent quality parts. Afterall, a bearing holder on a
Unicycle is really simple in design, it's a shaft collar with some
shoulders and opens by a bolt on both sides.

maestro8 wrote:
BTW, there's more to machining than CNC code. A CNC machine is not a
microwave. You don't just toss in a bar of metal and mash a couple
buttons...

You're talking now like I have no idea what a CNC machine is.

The last two semesters I took manufacturing, I taught the class how to
use the CNC machines.

The only hard part is zeroing the machine, and making sure the clamps
holding your part down don't get hit by the toolbit. The only reason
the clamps make it difficult is because of the people who hit them with
the toolbit when they program the machine wrong, the edges of the
clamps look equivalent to a foam cup being chewed on.

--
Borgschulze

'deviantART'
(http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/)'Gravity'