Old May 24th 19, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default HOW DANGEROUS IS CYCLING? DEPENDS ON WHICH NUMBERS YOU EMPHASISE.

On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 5:36:16 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote to Krygowski:

Risk is different for different riders. If you JRA at 12mph on dry village streets, you are at low risk of injury. If you ride in snow, ice and rain on steep, broken roads, you are at a higher risk of injury. If you do laps in the Arc d'Triumph roundabout or filtering through London traffic, you're in a whole other risk category. And then, each of those categories is modified further by skill and experience.

-- Jay Beattie.

I've given up trying to educate that obstinate jerk, Frank Krygowski. But I must congratulate you on a good job, though your success will, like all past efforts, be temporary. Bad pennies keep turning up.

You might add that, if you're on a road bike with narrow tyres, your risk of an incident is higher than if you're on balloons (50mm wide and up) though only if on downhills you proceed at the same pace as you would on narrow tyres rather than taking advantage of the greater capability of the balloons.

Andre Jute
2.0 bar