Old July 23rd 05, 02:01 PM
NYC XYZ

Default How Do These Airborne Specs Look?

Gooserider wrote:

The problem with buying Chinese goods is the very real possibility that
doing so supports our enemy.War with China over Taiwan is not out of the
question.

Of course, the other school of thought counters that this is precisely
why you must keep 'em engaged through trade. As their economy becomes
ever more dependent on foreign trade, etc., war becomes more and more
"impractical"...if Nixon hadn't gone to China, China might be just
another North Korea now.

The Chinese have a horrible human rights record, you know.

So do many US allies. That doesn't stop us from buying Saudi oil, etc.

People
there are routinely put in re-education camps, undergo forced sterilization,
are placed in forced labor camps, and face other such horrible acts.

I totally agree. I just don't think that I can have any more effect on
those issues than the US government, which has very limited effect on
issues it considers even more important.

Every
dollar you spend on Chinese goods goes to strengthen them both economically
and militarily. I would no more buy Chinese goods than I would buy conflict
diamonds.

Conflict diamonds? What are these, please?