Old December 19th 08, 11:14 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gonzo

Default Video: MUNI v1 - Northstar and Geared Muni

Corbin,

Thanks for posting this great video. It is not often that we see geared
unicycles on videos, especially 24", so thanks a lot for sharing your
experience!

My question: which unicycle do you prefer for riding
mildly/non-technical offroad? geared KH24 or non-geared KH36??

I am contemplating buying a new unicycle next year to have a good
option for more speed (and distance). My goal is to have a unicycle that
makes non-technical X-country riding enjoyable and that gives me the
possibility to ride more with bikers (I have a KH24 and a KH29 so I am
covered for the more technical stuff - I find I could enjoy something
faster than the KH29 on some of the trails I am going to). Not
interested at all in road riding at the moment.
I have narrowed down to 2 possibilities: KH24 geared or KH36 ungeared.
Until I saw your video, I sort of convinced myself that the KH36 would
be the best option for me because:
- 2-3x cheaper than the KH24 geared
- I thought a KH36 would be more fun to ride at high speed than a
geared KH24: banked turns, better rolling over obstacles, more
stability. Do you confirm??
- I love the look of such a big wheel
But the geared KH24 option is also very appealing - could do a mixture
of technical and non-technical in the same ride instead of constraining
the trail I ride to the limitations of whichever unicycle I decide to
ride.
The geared 24" option would clearly be more versatile, but do you enjoy
it as much as a 36" at high-speed? How technically easy does the terrain
has to be before you can ride it in high-gear, compared to riding the
non-geared 36"? Can you do mildly-technical downhills in high-gear for
instance? How about climbing - any clear winner between the 2?

Appreciate any comments that might help me in my decision!

Teddy

--
gonzo