Old June 15th 10, 02:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Default new cables, brake and shifter

On 15 June, 13:14, Mark Cleary wrote:
I am going to put some new inner wire on the brakes and shifters my
question is if they should be lubed. Also the housing is fine no issues
but maybe I should put new housing on too, I have a huge 25 ft roll? I
normally run a little Vaseline on the wire from time to time or even a
coat of very light oil. I just wonder if new wire should be left alone
or lubed.
--
Deacon Mark Cleary * * * * * * *
Epiphany Roman Catholic Church

Lube cables with plastic liners with silicone oil, a squirt of aerosol
down the liner does the trick. Use graphite (again in aerosol form)
to lube steel housings. They should be done when new and as and when.