Old September 14th 05, 01:28 AM
Jasper Janssen

Default Bikes and Things Bikes - I'm kind of Ignorant

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:22:32 GMT, H M Leary wrote:

Always navigate by the laws of gross tonnage!

The actual legal situation (on Dutch inland waters) appears to be that
commercial shipping always has right of way over pleasure shipping, and
boats over 20 metres have right of way over boats under 20 metres, boats
under sail have right of way over motorised or human powered, and human
powered has right of way over motorised (and sail over port has right of
way over sail over starboard, IIRC, but that's getting technical).

Personally I tend to boil at least the first few down to "does it look big
enough to *hurt*?". That works amazingly well in traffic on the bike as
well, actually.

Jasper