Old May 11th 06, 05:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Fun with bikes: Mechanics

Wrote:
Wotcher,

gplama suggested we write about how much fun bikes are.

Over the weekend I rebuilt a mate's Peugeot PE8 from '71. It was a
lovely green frame with original derailleurs, hoods, downtube
shifters,
mudguards, rear derailleur and one front brake. Back brake was
missing
everything except the centrepull guide, wire splitter, and split wire,
and no hope of finding a cheap MAFAC brake to replace it either! All
it needs is a real back brake (centrepull caliper) and replacement of
the original jockey wheels (one worn down to 1 tooth)

Cleaned the hubs, patched the tyres, oiled the chain, adjusted the
seat
height and away she went, happy as larry. For my troubles (at the
"after party", as in "after some mechanical work") another mate
offered
me a Peugeot 12 speed (only 10 speed in its current life) from the
1980s which was less impressive, but my brother wants it done up as a
single speed, and is going to manually sand the frame back to bare
metal and wax it.

love and bike repair fun,
Sam R.

I've got a set of Mafac brakes lying around if you want, the product of
some hard rubbish scrounging a while back... I can send them up your way
no probs...

--
eddiec