Old November 1st 17, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Why do some forks and frames have brake rotor size limits?

On 11/1/2017 1:46 AM, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 20:26:15 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 10:17:36 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 20:23:53 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I recently read up on "rolling coal" - that is, using modifications of a
pickup truck's diesel engine to purposely shoot dense black clouds of
unburned diesel fuel out the exhaust. I'd seen it done many times, but
had it done to me (and the folks I was riding with) only once.

The comments in the articles were disheartening. I didn't realize that
most of the people "rolling coal" are intent specifically on abusing
people who choose not to pollute. The comments bragged about taunting
Prius drivers, economy car drivers and bicyclists.

One source said there are no laws against this practice in other
countries, since they're not needed. Nobody else does it; it's just
American jerks.

Yes, we are not who we were.

Generally any diesel will smoke, to some extent, under some operating
conditions so I'd guess that no engine modifications would be
necessary.

This is an order of magnitude worse than "to some extent." For example, see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYPMbLO4pAY

It appears to be the usual diesel smoking on acceleration that all
diesel engines do to some extent. It does seem excessive as it is
right in your face but we have basically the same thing on some of our
older buses.

But more to the point, why in the world would anyone be worried about
whether someone else was emitting more or less contaminates?

You'd worry about the "more contaminants" if you were being forced to breathe
it.

Gee here is was trying to be politically correct and cover all options
and you complain.

Why would these jerks care if someone emits less? I think they think that
pollution is patriotic. If you can call that thinking.

- Frank Krygowski

Yes they are "jerks" but I suggest that if there is any thought taking
place it is probably "Hey! Look! Look! Everyone! Look at ME!"

--
Cheers,

John B.

Uh, it's an intentional modification: