Old November 26th 17, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default FLU

On 2017-11-25 12:51, wrote:
On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 1:48:06 PM UTC-7,
wrote:
the foil joke may prevent you from arranging with/into
your environment

try this ... if foil was a component then why not .... ?

J this is an older German architectural/psych concept:
terracotta buildings are healthier than steel reinforced
concrete ...a much larger off the ground scale

I cannot locate current info on the net

Steel re-enforced in most cases means some big residential
highrise in a congested area. No wonder that those people are
or feel less healthy. I have never understood the desire of
city folk to cram together like sardines in a can.

Try an intro Anthropology book some time. Before The Inter Webs,
close proximity promoted exchange of ideas and specialization of
effort. Still does to some extent.

It does, though specialization is not always a good thing. It
results, for example, in people who can't even fix a flat. Their
tool of fixing just about anything is the yellow pages.

Fixing a flat IS specialization, particularly a tubular. Are you
saying the rugged individualists in Cameron Park -- a golf community
with an airstrip -- are more likely to fix their own flats than the
downtrodden city dwellers in, say, Portland or Minneapolis?

Probably yes. For example, the folks in the airpark almost always have a
very well equipped hangar-size garage with huge tool chests. Many also
have certificates entitling them to officially repair aircraft. If you
can fix a leaking tire on an aircraft you can fix it on a bicycle.

As for health, dense living results in lot of civilization
diseases, higher stress levels and nowadays lung diseases because
of pollution. Probably also more cancer. Just about every time I
reach the top of the last hill to ride into the Sacramento Valley I
see that brownish smog line and I am thankful not to have to live
down there. Other times I can literally smell it.

And yet, you're headed to Sacramento to get goods and services
lacking in Cameron Park -- which is not surprising, since it was
designed as a parasitic bedroom community carved out of a
cow-pasture/vinyard. Rugged individualists with cars and strip
malls.

No, I take my pick. Often, like two days ago, I point the MTB east and
go to the Placerville area. They've got hardware stores and just about
everything needed. I never ride into Sacramento for errands, if west I
go to Folsom. I like to patronize their businesses because that
community did and does a stellar job for cycling infrastructure. That
needs to be rewarded. As long as you don't ride much past Rancho Cordova
the smell of smog won't intensify too badly. Plus you are far off car
traffic because it is a bikle path separated so far that all you usually
see is river and nature.

BTW, rural populations typically fare worse in terms of physical and
mental health.
https://hpi.georgetown.edu/agingsoci...ral/rural.html

That is largely because of the much higher percentage of people with
longterm substance abuse problems, and most of all smoking. If you live
a healthy lifestyle country living is way better for you.

Also, with all the wood stove burning and automobiles in Cameron
Park, you'd have smog too if the town were in a valley, like
Sacramento.

We don't. Except on very cold days for the occasional expression
censored who are too incompetent to operate a wood stove.

When I worked in Rancho Cordova (Sacramento Valley) I could sometimes
feel the pollution in my lungs. Coming up the Bass Lake Grade I rolled
down the windows "Aaaah, finally fresh air". No that I don't have to
commute anymore I get fresh air all the time.

Even more of a contrast is a flight from Ireland or Scotland to
Duesseldorf in Germany. I grew up there but after stepping out of the
plane I still thought "Why would anyone want to live here?".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/