Old August 24th 18, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Bus bike rack too short, how to strap in a bike quickly?

On Friday, August 24, 2018 at 1:11:09 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/24/2018 10:35 AM, Joerg wrote:
Couldn't believe it. Those great agency folks obviously didn't test the
bike racks for our local buses before signing the contract. Long story
short my 29er bike didn't fit in and neither did my friend's. Luckily
the driver was patient and helpful. We had to load the bikes reversed so
the hook goes over the rear wheel. Not easy because of my panniers but
worked, somehow. The front wheels now rode up on the other side of the
rack slot. We both had bungee cords with which we strapped them down as
hard as we could. Oh, and the slot width barely fit my 2.25" wide MTB
tires barely squeezed in and I had to push down hard. The rack looks
like this:

https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/spg/sho...8df2678ec2064b

When we arrived another rider put his 26" MTB on there on even that
barely fit in (rear wheel rode up half an inch).

Does anyone know a better "strap down" method that is faster than
wrapping a bungee around rim and rack numerous times?

I wouldn't fault the rack designer too much. Bikes come in such
incredible variety it's tricky to design even stationary bike racks. And
transit companies are seldom flush with funds. They can spend only so
much to accommodate the one percent with unusual bikes.

As to your question: I wonder if a velcro strap with rectangular ring
might work. They're fast to install and surprisingly strong. See, for
example:

https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Cabl...g=UTF8&s=a ht

--
- Frank Krygowski

---

The Arno Strap I reference in my earlier reply are so simple to use. What's really neat is that they are so easy to release and doing so does not delay the bus for more than a few seconds. When not in use to hold the bike to the bus rack an Arno strap can be used for many other things - such as towing another bicyclist or strapping a keg of beer to a rear bicycle rack. LOL I use a couple to hold my big jug of spring water to the rear bicycle rack when I go to and from the freshwater spring to refill the jug.

Cheers

Cheers