Old April 18th 15, 06:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
news13

Default Thinking of building a touring trailer: looking for parts

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 20:43:05 +1000, Stuart Longland wrote:

This indeed looks to be the best plan of attack: get a sample and test
to destruction.

Err, that is my protyping method. Build one and then use it to
destruction, then build another. Lot of fun.

The construction techniques used in this rear rack
seems to suggest it can be made to be fairly rugged.

http://www.bikeforums.net/living-car...e-built-hitch-

rack.html

IMO, very sucky frame. no lugs on frame for mounting mudguards, or racks,
which is why he/she build that arrangement.

Very good in the sense that it is low down and not off the seat post or
top of rack.

Bonus points here for not needing bolt holes near the rear axle: a
feature that most full-suspension mountain bikes lack.

I wouldn't tow a trailer any other way. It puts trailer forces maximally
onto rear wheel axle and reduces frame twisting as much as possible. so
long as you don't loose traction, you're okay

Hint, P clamps are the usual approach to overcome lack of lugs in that
area. Not permanent, but reasonable until you get permanent lugs attached.