Old October 10th 06, 01:55 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Duncan

Default rural amusement

"BrettS" wrote in message
Duncan wrote:
"Zebee Johnstone" wrote in message

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 9 Oct 2006 13:53:35 +1000
asterope wrote:

"great way to get yourself killed, love."

i almost fell off my bike i was laughing so hard.

I had a bod on a Vespa tell me I ought to get a flag cos I was "so
hard to see".

He's got a point. I mainly lurk here but when you were deciding on a

bike I
almost piped up to talk you out of a recumbent. For a lot of drivers
they're practicaly invisible, they're less manouverable and wider so

more
likely to be clipped. A flag doesn't cut it, a burning flare might be a
better option.

If he can't see something 2 foot wide, a foot longer than most
bicycles, and where the rider's seat is as high as a car seat then I
think the RTA's eyesight test needs work.

As you yourself have pointed out it's not about eyesight, it's about
processing what you see. People just aren't looking for recumbents so

they
won't see them. I've seen recumbents so low they don't make it up to a

cars
window, on top of that they keep getting stuck lane splitting. A driver
could do everything right and still hit them.

Well I would suggest that the driver wouldn't have done *everything*
right then. Especially as you just pointed out - you can see them.

I don't drive a car but if a recumbent lower than your window split up on
your left side how are you going to see it? This may be rare but I've seen
it happen.

How is a recumbent (even a low one like your talking about) different
from other similar sized objects likely to be found on the roads such as:
* Children?
* Domestic animals?
* Wheelie bins?

Well they can all be hard to see which is exactly my point. Do you think
it's always a good idea for children, animals or wheelie bins to be on the
road? I don't want to ban any of these things, just realise the dangers.

Saying that someone is putting themselves in greater danger because they
ride a bike which is deemed too small/narrow to be seen properly is a
cop out. The SMIDSY phenomenon is alive and well putside of cycling
circles. You only have to see the number of people who drive into the
back of other cars, busses and trucks to know that size doesn't make a
scrap of difference.

You're saying there is no increased danger with decreased visibility? I'm
not convinced.