Old October 13th 18, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

On 2018-10-11 23:19, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 08:01:24 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-10-10 09:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/10/2018 10:54 AM, Joerg wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgybEXkhvHQ

"At Exposure, we feel it's as important to use good lights
throughout the day, as well as at night."

... um, because we're trying to sell the things, of course!

I don't use flash mode on my front lights though.

Then you disagree with the source you cited?

No. Those bright lights are visible enough in non-flash mode.

Speaking of visible enough: My wife and I just returned from a
little ride. We rode out to the suburban branch of our credit
union to cash a check, then a bit beyond it into sort of
semi-rural roads. We returned by different roads. We were on some
quiet residential streets, some former farm roads that are now
short cuts to housing developments, a bit on an arterial road or
two with 50 mph traffic, etc. Quite a few miles were on lanes
that were obviously too narrow to share (like 9 feet wide) so we
rode at lane center.

As usual, we had no problems with any drivers. (Well, except a
couple who were clogging things up while they seemed to be
looking for entrances to some obscure businesses). And there was
absolutely no indication that anyone had any trouble seeing us.

Apparently, we were visible enough. Our bikes both had dynamo
powered lights, but neither of us had them on.

Some people are not so lucky in the lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGD5P_LHEHs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abqysSwOcIQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqbbiRxoWR4

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

So you manages to find ONE incident each in Britain, Australia and
Tennessee U.S.A. Oh the GREAT DANGER!

Geeze Joerg, if bicycling is so darn dangerous why do you do it? Or
is that why you consume so much beer = to get courage enough to ride
those deadly roads and trails?

Two mates got rear-ended in similar fashion. They just happened not to
have rear-facing helmet cams.

That's the reality.

Gee, one of my classmates died of pneumonia. Does that mean I am in
danger of pneumonia? Another dies of appendicitis, should I have my
appendix out?

I could go on, but I'm sure that you get the idea.

I would not have brought it up if this wasn't a common type of accident.
Other folks were also hit back then but got lucky and there was only
damage on the bike and the car.

After moving to this area a rear-end fatality happened. Rider "took the
lane" on a four-lane road. Woman in a pickup thought the left lane
traffic was too slow, stepped on it, pulled to the right and saw the
cyclist too late. Due to her being in the lane not enough space ...
dead. So I didn't ride for more than a decade until that section got a
bike lane and the rest of the road to here (about 8mi from there) got
wide enough shoulders. This is how most local riders saw it as well.

You didn't ride that section of road for more than a decade or you didn't ride at all? What about your gnarly trails? Were they too scary too?

Dopes in cars will get you anywhere. They'll get you as you sleep at home. You really should stay out of your front room. It's dangerous. https://assets3.thrillist.com/v1/ima...lideshow_l.jpg This is why I stay away from Vietnamese restaurants: https://pamplinmedia.com/images/arti...3562320879.jpg

I also avoid MUPs -- even those that are entirely separated from traffic by barrier walls. https://bikeportland.org/wp-content/...4/205car1..jpg And I certainly avoid any road where cars may be present -- lurking, waiting to KILL ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAaAaaaaaah! http://www.bitrebels.com/wp-content/...-by-meowza.jpg

The most dangerous part of my ride today was almost getting hit by some witless cyclist on a MUP.

-- Jay Beattie.