Old December 18th 12, 05:34 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Is Mountain Biking Healthful Exercise?

On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:31:33 AM UTC-8, Blackblade wrote:
On Sunday, December 16, 2012 5:03:23 PM UTC, Mike Vandeman wrote: By studying the positive effects and ignoring the negative effects, mountain bikers and corrupt scientists have promoted the idea that mountain biking is good for your health and for the environment. We know better. How much cardiovascular benefit is required, in order to "balance" one premature death??? Personally, I don't think that any amount of "health benefit" is equal to the value of a human or animal or plant life. Life is priceless! It's not considered polite to criticize someone who has died, but this guy was in fact just plain irresponsible. What utter nonsense. The developed world's number one killer is Ischaemic Heart Disease with 15.6% of all deaths. Hypertensive Heart Disease also appears lower in the list with 2.3%. (Figures from World Health Organisation) Therefore, statistically (I believe you claim to know some maths), you are massively improving your chances of a long and healthy life by taking strenuous activity such as Mountainbiking. It is not risk free ... nothing is ... but the risks of inactivity are an order of magnitude higher.

Not if you end up DEAD! Are you really THAT dense??? You are ASSUMING that you don't have an accident while mountain biking. That's why your math is totally wrong. Get your head out of the sand. Better yet, leave it there, and end up dead. Sheesh.