Old September 13th 16, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default Wide tire on narrow rim?

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 20:16:47 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:
On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 7:42:57 PM UTC-7, Tim McNamara
wrote:
On Fri, 09 Sep 2016 16:56:27 -0500, AMuzi
wrote:

Other Trek models then, and many other bikes, came with Rigida 1319
or 1320 and 27 x 1-1/8 tires stock.

Ah, the first wheels I ever built- 1977- were the low end Avocet hubs
laced to those Rigida rims. Rode those for years; still have the
hubs in the original tattered box.

Those were, IIRC, Ofmega hubs.

I think that is correct, just rebranded. They were basically Campy
clones, although the cones matched Campy NR track cones rather than roa
cones. At least IIRC from replacing them once about 20 years ago.

PAB and Avocet had all sorts of odd-ball stuff -- the thinned down
triple crank and the two bolt seat-post (mine broke). I also broke an
Ofmega track crank that I bought off a sale table at PAB. I remember
that, right on the corner of Big Basis and Saratoga -- sort of SMS
stomping grounds. It was a long ride home using one leg.

That was a fascinating era with all the not-Campagnolo brands before
Shimano convincingly snatched the market.

There was a lot of interesting- if not necessarily well designed or
executed- stuff in the mid-late 70s. Weyless hubs and other components,
Hi-E, Bullseye hubs/BBs/jockey wheels, etc. The one that seems to have
stuck around is Phil Wood. Then Sun Tour made a pretty good challenge
to be the main team, but Shimano came back and ate their lunch.