Old June 4th 18, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default MTB randonneur

On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 20:06:31 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

How wide a tire do you need?

I don't need especially wide tires. Just not 32
and preferably wider than 35. Shooting from the
holster, I'd say my prefered tire size is
622-40, 622-42, or 622-47.

Methinks they are the same as 28x1.50, 28x1.60, and 28x1.75.
Looking at Schwalbe touring tires, they're available in those sizes in
a variety of tread patterns.
https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires

Perhaps custom rims might be a solution. Something like this:
http://www.spontaneousfire.com/trikeofdeath.htm
For normal riding, you only install one tire on the extra wide rim.
For heavy loads or touring, you install two tires. This arrangement
might also provide useful redundancy in the event you get a flat tire.
I think 3 side by side tires might be better than two. Soon, everyone
will be riding on extra wide rims and multiple tires.

But this is me just projecting the project
based on my general experience and what
I've read. I never did any randonneuring
whatsoever on any bike!

Neither have I, and it shows. However, I have done some touring and
bicycle camping in the distant past. Prior to these adventures, I did
read some books and magazine articles on touring. I then ignored most
of the advice and did what I thought best, with predictable results.

Incidentally, I also used my touring bicycle to do local service calls
in my computer repair business. At the time, computers were still too
big and heavy to be effectively transported on a bicycle. I also had
to carry several filing boxes full of floppy disks and a mess of
tools. Leaving anything on a parked bicycle was a security problem. I
might try it again as the computers are much smaller today and all the
software I need are now on about five USB flash drives.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D