Old June 9th 21, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default cleaning of rims

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 11:31:06 a.m. UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/9/2021 8:52 AM, William Crowell wrote:
I agree with Andrew: a stronger solvent than mineral spirits or alcohol works much better. Mineral spirits leave a residue. I use either lacquer thinner or automotive pre-paint degreaser, which works the best, IMHO, because it is specially formulated for this. But don't get the lacquer thinner on the sidewalls of your tires; it might do something bad to them; not sure.

I've never tried brake cleaner for cleaning braking surfaces. I should
have thought of that.

But I often use acetone when I want a solvent that cuts most anything.

--
- Frank Krygowski

But will any/all of the suggestions posted in this thread clean off the WAX that the OP was asking about?

Cheers