Old May 28th 08, 08:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

Default New kh20 squeaking ? strange noise

One thing to check is that you have not tightened the bearing caps to
much. Many people just tighten them up, cause they will run fine that
way, for a while. I did this until UDC Roger pointed this
out.

Flip your uni upside down and give the wheel a spin. It should do about
15 revolutions before it stops. If it doesn't, loosen the bearing caps
until it does.

The stock KH pedals are loose ball, and with a bit of bad luck you can
get something in there that can make some noise. I wouldn't worry to
much about pedal noise. But then again, I have a lot of pedals. It's
not to hard to take apart a loose ball pedal, just to messy for me to
want to bother with. All that messy grease solvents etc.

It is best to learn to check your spokes yourself. The tool is pretty
cheap. For now, just tap the spokes with a spoon, and the ones that are
to loose will sound dull and flat. Turn them left until they sound
almost as tight as the average. You must turn them counter clockwise to
tighten.

My 36 made spoke noises, even after I had fixed a few loose ones. The
wheel looked true, so I just carefully tightened each spoke 1/2 turn.
This has no effect on trueness, and the tighter wheel was quiet.

I never had crank noise, but if I did, because KH 20 has a tapered
spline, I would whack it with a soft mallet, to better mess the
splines. Then tighten the bolt.

It's always a good idea to be attentive to new noises in your uni, so
as to catch trouble early. However, after you have checked all the
obvious things, I
wouldn't worry about riding it. The parts aren't fragile.

If the noise is from your bearings, they are about 8 $ each. I wouldn't
replace them unless they don't turn smoothly when you turn the outer
part of the bearing shell with your finger. You have to take off the
bearing caps and pull the wheel set off to do this test. I wouldn't
bother for a little noise. These bearings will die a long and noisy
death, and it's not really going to hurt anything else. They have a
long service life, unless you tighten your KH caps down snug.

--
feel the light