Old January 17th 11, 04:18 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Default My second encounter with the AFP

Some weeks ago, I posted my experience with the Australian Federal
Police whilst riding along Qantas Drive at Kingsford_Smith Airport.

To save everybody digging thru the archives, that time, the AFP guys
indicated (from inside their vehicle) that I should be using the
cycleway adjacent to the road instead of being in the middle of the road
itself. As they did not appear to press the issue, I continued riding in
the middle of the lane at that time.

Today, at about 1615, I had my second encounter and this time, it may be
a bit more serious as another lot of AFP pulled me over (lights and
sirens), severely admonished me verbally (I was in the middle of the
lane and holding up traffic), took my details and informed me that they
will contact me if there was going to be further action taken. There was
a lot more to this obviously but I am just giving the salient bits.

During the admonishment from the AFP goon, sorry, I meant officer, I
just stood my ground, quoted my usual spiel about "the RTA Handbook for
Road Users", "laws in the state of NSW", my right to a whole lane, my
roadworthy vehicle, my PPE, etc etc.

The incident occurred at around the same spot as last time and I am
beginning to feel paranoid about the fact that either someone here is
connected to the AFP OR the AFP is monitoring this newsgroup

As soon as I could, I wrote down everything that happened including the
name of the AFP goon, eeeerrrr... officer, who attempted to bully me
into riding on the left of the lane

His mate seemed alright cos as they were leaving, his mate said words to
the effect, "OK man".

Perhaps the most puzzling aspect was their claim that they were also NSW
Police! I could only see AFP badges on their uniforms.

In an attempt to be conciliatory, I did tell them that I had no problems
with them patrolling the perimeter of the airport and stopping me to ask
me for my ID. That was when I mentioned their jurisdiction outside of
Federal territory and their counter claim of being also NSW Police. I am
guessing that is bull****.

A coupla mins after I rode off in my usual manner, a NSW cop car went
past me without a second glance