Old January 18th 11, 03:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Default My second encounter with the AFP

On 18/01/2011 8:59 AM, Rob wrote:
On 18/01/2011 3:18 AM, Geoff Lock wrote:
Some weeks ago, I posted my experience with the Australian Federal
Police whilst riding along Qantas Drive at Kingsford_Smith Airport.

Perhaps the most puzzling aspect was their claim that they were also NSW
Police! I could only see AFP badges on their uniforms.

They have dual policemanship where as they can follow over their
boundary onto NSW property. But their primary role is Commonwealth
property.

Oh, I didn't know that. OK, so they were not telling porkies.

Used to be that the AFP were only limited to Commonwealth grounds and
NSW Police to State boundaries - at least that was what I was told cos
years ago as a rabble rousing student at UNSW, we'd conduct noisy
protests at Sydney Airport, do the runner in our cars to the Uni grounds
and basically laughrd and poked our tongues out at the NSW coppers who
followed us there from the safety of Commonwealth property.

Obviously, in our naiveness, we never thought that the NSW coppers had
no real interest in apprehending us cos if they had wanted to do so, we
would have had been toast in the 20 minutes or so it took to get to the
Uni from the Airport along NSW roads Ah, the innocence of callow
youth {to paraphrase Mentor from the Lensmen series by EE Doc Smith}

Did you ask if they will take personal responsibility if you are struck
by another motorist whilst following their directive.

Actually, I told him pointblank I was NOT going to follow his directive
I just looked him in the eye and repeated my "RTA Handbook" and the
"laws in the state of NSW" mantras.

On an aside, I think it is now 6 to me and nil to coppers. It would have
been 7-0 if I counted that 1st encounter with the AFP but as I did not
actually stop the bike I did not count that

I have been wondering what would happen if I did get a fine. I would
obviously contest that fine and there is a good chance the fine will get
thrown out of court BUT can I get compensation for wrongful "whatever"
and trauma and hurt and stuff like that?? Cos if I can sue for
damages, next time, I'll seriously think about goading them into giving
me a fine I could do with a new carbon fibre bike or three, you know