Old February 19th 18, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default my fixie doesn't need improvement

On 2/19/2018 2:59 AM, wrote:
On Monday, February 19, 2018 at 4:45:57 AM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/18/2018 8:04 PM, John B. wrote:

So, one might say that for riding in hilly terrain the STI shifters
are mandatory for success while if riding on level ground are far less
important.

Even in hilly terrain, STI is not mandatory for non-competitive success.
I've crossed the Appalachians with friction shifting.

People succeeded in riding in hilly terrain even before there were
derailleurs, let alone STI.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank, like Jay already said nothing is mandatory and it is OK with me people using friction DT shifters for whatever reason but unreliabity of STI/Ergo's or quicker shifting of DT friction shifters can't be the reason.
For me STI/Ergo, clipless pedals, 9/10/11 speed and modern cycling clothes made my riding much more pleasant. YMMV..

I completely agree with your post. People have different preferences and
different criteria.

Sometimes we discuss the reasons different people make different
equipment choices. That's because this is a discussion group.

I never cared about quicker shifting. I did have to fix some reliability
problems with others' STI systems early on, so it made an impression on
me. But the decades since have convinced me that they are suitably
reliable. As I said, if I were to buy another road bike now, I'd
probably get one with STI or equivalent.

But I don't anticipate buying another road bike. One thing I like the
most about bikes is that they last and last. And they last better if
they have the most versatile component choices. The stuff I have - many
decades old in a lot of cases - just keeps working.

--
- Frank Krygowski