Old February 19th 18, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Default my fixie doesn't need improvement

On 19/02/2018 9:12 AM, wrote:
On Monday, February 19, 2018 at 2:01:19 PM UTC+1, duane wrote:
On 19/02/2018 12:14 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 7:45:57 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/18/2018 8:04 PM, John B. wrote:

So, one might say that for riding in hilly terrain the STI shifters
are mandatory for success while if riding on level ground are far less
important.

Even in hilly terrain, STI is not mandatory for non-competitive success.
I've crossed the Appalachians with friction shifting.

People succeeded in riding in hilly terrain even before there were
derailleurs, let alone STI.

Nothing is mandatory. I've crossed all the major mountain ranges with friction shifters, too. I just prefer STI. And I would say that it would be handicap to race without them.

Not a follower of Ned Ludd I see.

I haven't raced in a long time except a few time trials but wouldn't go
back to friction shifters. Toe clips either.

The fact that we got by without new tech isn't a reason to avoid new
tech if it works.

STI/Ergo new tech? It is 30 years old!

Lou

True huh?