Old March 2nd 05, 10:25 AM
MSeries

audrey wrote:
Since the Bike Events brochure came in the post, I've been thinking
about doing the Manchester 100 ride in September.

I'm a very overweight 30-something who mainly uses her bike for
pootling to the shops and such. The furthest I usually ride is about
5 miles. Oh and my bike is crap (tho there is a possibility I might
be getting a shiny new one in July).

How realistic is it that I could be able to cycle 62 miles in one day
by September? Obviously I'd need to train/practice, can any suggest
how much and how often?

ta

Audrey

Make sure the Manc 100 is 100km, not 100 miles. I have not seen the
brochure this year, are they running two events ?

If you don't set yourself a target you WILL NOT achieve it. I think its
realistic, there are books on long distance cycling that tell you how
to train for such things. Basically increase you mileage by 10% per
week with some easier weeks. You need some commitment and you need to
organise your life so you can have say Saturday or Sunday for cycling.
It is very easy to find excuses though. 100km is not such an enormous
feat to be impossible and its challenging enough to be worthwhile. GO
FOR IT, you'll feel good as you get fitter and motivation will come
easily, cycling is addictive.