Old January 29th 19, 03:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

Default Old BIANCHI + Shimano Adamas AX

On Monday, January 28, 2019 at 8:58:02 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Monday, January 28, 2019 at 1:19:09 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, January 28, 2019 at 10:04:02 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, January 28, 2019 at 10:15:02 AM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
My friend would buy discs on a new racing bike, however, just because of resale and the direction of the market...

Wow. I don't think about resale when I buy anything, let alone bikes.

I certainly look for products that retain their value, but that doesn't mean I'm "churning" them. It just means I'm not buying crap that plummets in FMV the second I get it home or that can't be unloaded in the event of changed circumstances.

I suppose it makes sense if you're a person who likes to "churn"
your possessions. But that's not me.

Me neither, unless I smash a bike or one is stolen. I did sell my tandem and a couple of my wife's bikes when she became disabled. You never know when you might have to unload stuff, and you sure don't want to be selling crap nobody wants. Paying attention to what will retain its value is not a bad thing.

snip
You mention in passing that your wife became disabled...temporarily, I hope?
What happened, if you don't mind my asking?

Unfortunately, she has dystonia, a neuromuscular disorder akin to Parkinsons. She has electrodes implanted in her brain, and in fact, she is going in for surgery on Friday to get new pulse generators. Rechargeable this time so she doesn't have to get cut open every 2-3 years. http://callisto.ggsrv.com/imgsrv/Fas...Y01-IDSI-129-1

DBS has helped, but her condition is fairly severe. She can't ride a bike any more, which makes her really sad after being an avid cyclist and racer. She was my secret weapon on our tandem, otherwise known as the divorcycle because I had a tendency to push her too hard racing singles up hill. It's a real message when your stoker just stops pedaling.

-- Jay Beattie.
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home