Old June 28th 16, 08:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
John B.[_6_]

Default The high cost of mountain biking!

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 06:35:04 -0000 (UTC), news16
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 08:37:28 +0700, John B. wrote:

Ed Dolan the Great ? Minnesota

You know Eddy, I am becoming a bit suspicious of your claims of glory.

You tell us that back in the 1970's you essentially hiked for a decade,
communing with nature. This is a little puzzling as who supported you
while you were cavorting in the wilderness? Your mommy and daddy? They
paid your keep while you were stumbling around in the bushes?

Wow, Ed was a remittance man. got a weekly income from Mummy and Daddy to
flick off somewhere and not embarass the family. Very common in the Pommy
toffs

I actually knew a "remittance man" or at least that is what we
surmised him to be. English bloke from up north someplace. I knew him
for ten years or more and in all that time I never heard him mention a
job. Plenty of tales about having lived in hippy communes, visited
Ireland, travels in Scotland, etc., lived on the beach with a girl,
but never a mention of a job, or work.

It was obvious that he had some sort of remittance as the first of the
month he'd be flush with cash and would say things like, "Fix it? Just
throw money at it" and toward the end of the month he'd be caging
drinks. Slap his pocket and look amazed, "Oh! I forgot my money."

He wasn't a bad guy but a five minute conversation and you could
figure out why the family was happy to have him away from home :-)

When he died his daughter came over to settle things and of course all
the blokes who had known him made sure to meet her and tell her how
sorry that were to see the old boy gone, extend sympathy and the
usual. She just stood there, no tears, straight face, just like
someone told her what time it was.

I think the term is "No love lost".
--
cheers,