Old July 11th 04, 11:36 PM
Slacker

Default why bigger tires?

pas wrote:
educate me, discuss or call me an idiot, doesn't matter ;-)

What's the deal with different tire sizes? Tuff grrl keeps telling I should
go bigger, but being the weight weenie and cheapskate I am, I "just say no".
Is there a reason an XC rider would want bigger tires? More traction, more
stability? I always figured bigger tires were for primarily big hit/DH
riders. Do bigger tires contribute more to trail erosion, or only if
skidded?

care to elaborate, any one?

penny

They're definitely not only for big hit or DH. As Per already explained,
more contact area, which is great not only going DH over rougher terrain
, but climbing up techy stuff too. They just roll over stuff easier.

Of course the downside is the weight. Also, more importantly than size
is the tread and sidewall stiffness. Give me a narrower, stiff side
walled, good knobby designed tire over a wide flexy, crappy tread one
any day.

--
Slacker