Old March 28th 18, 11:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei

Default Silent hubs

On 27-03-18 22:47, Joerg wrote:
Many folks with other freehubs don't need to holler "on your left" when
rolling downhill because you can hear the GRRRR.

How can I get people to holler that here in Switzerland? Or maybe ring a
bell? It's just not customary here, and no one does it.

A couple of weeks ago I was in downtown Zurich, riding on a road with 2
sets of tram tracks. Approaching a stoplight, I signaled to the car
behind me that I wanted to turn left, and moved to the left side of my
lane. The motorist clearly saw that, so I saw no need to keep signaling
the turn. As the light turned green, I moved into the intersection to
cross the second set of tram tracks and to turn. Just then another guy
on a bike came up from behind even further to the left (in the lane
going against traffic on the other side of the intersection). I didn't
see him coming, turned into him so that my handlebars caught his, and so
slowly tipped over onto the pavement. Fortunately only a couple of minor
scratches, but could have been a lot worse.

Ned