Old March 13th 17, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default cassette clockwise arrow 40 nm

I use a regular wrench, note the length, calculate the required pull
force at the end and then I use a suitcase scales that my sister gave
me. A digital one with a hook where you normally lift a suitcase with
to see if it is still under the required 50lbs. Under $10.

To get to 150lbf-ft for the front wheel bearings on a BMC Mini (not the
BMW MINI) I'd put a stout tube on the end of the breaker bar then
calculate where to stand on it. To undo ditto but stand further out &
jump on the tube.

Yep. I did the same thing with VW Bus rear axle nuts.

You guys are such geeks. What I did on mine was to corner harder and harder until I broke the rear axle lugs off, one at a time. I'd hear it snap followed by the nut and broken-off part hitting the inside of the hubcap, then rattle around as I pulled up to a stop. And it wasn't a volkswagon.