Old August 15th 12, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman (-_-)

Default Headlight

On 8/14/2012 12:39 AM, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Aug 13, 8:17�pm, "Tom $herman (-_-)" ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
Literally - will be mounted to one of these:
http://www.pocsports.com/en/product/1391/trabec-race-mips.

What do people like these days (as it seems there is something new every
month)?

Seriously -- an ATB helmet from POC? I thought you were a no-helmet
guy.

Well, the POC has a hard shell and attempts to address the rotational
injury issue (MIPS), unlike the more void than lid pieces of molded EPS
with a strap attached that cost almost as much. The latter I have no
faith in, beyond some minimal bump and scrape protection, and satisfying
a jury that I was attempting to protect my head.

This is my really good lid protection wise (especially at 40% off
sale), but it too hot to wear on a bicycle except in winter (or if I
attempt a kamikaze downhill run in the velomobile):
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/407324_2739171209952_1657089014_n.jpg.
As an aside, the aerodynamics are really good at 125 mph on this one.

SMS will have a recommendation for a DX headlamp or some other
$75 wonder light. Or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MagicShine-M...ht_4359wt_1271

1000 lumens Li-ion and under $100.

Unlike The World's Greatest Expert, I would rather pay more for
something durable.

Speaking of SMS, it looks like he
is going to Interbike, where there will be a bunch of lighting
exhibitors. Maybe he can report on the latest technology.

Only if it steel, eh?

PS -- my son has a couple POCs for skiing (his racing and free ski
helmet), but some of the retailers on the mountain are not too
complimentary about the brand in terms of durability. We have had no
problems.

Or do the retailers make a better margin on other brands?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
Post Free or Die!