Old January 22nd 21, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Department of "well, duh!"

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 09:13:13 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I wonder, is the 4H still alive and well? At the time it seemed like a
good idea, teach the girls how to cook and sew and the boys how to
raise beef critters but now I suspect that life on the farm is
somewhat different :-(

My sisters took boy's 4-H, and there were boys in my girl's 4-H club.

I took cooking and sewing. I remember trying to make smaller cookies
while using exactly the same amount of dough. I *think* that I
realized that in order to make them smaller, you have to make them
smaller soon enough to get three more-or-less matching cookies to
exhibit.

(The instructions read that one must measure out exactly the same
amount of dough every single time to make the cookies uniform. I did
not see the contradiction with "these cookies are too big".)

In those days, starting over with a fresh batch of ingredients would
never have occurred to me. Might have occured to a bystander who
wanted more rejected cookies, though.

We were well off by 1940's standards, but waste was a cardinal sin.
I still feel that inanimate objects have rights.

--
joy beeson at centurylink dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGESEW/