Old February 7th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Eric Vey

Default Oregon vs California law graphic

Jens Müller wrote:
Eric Vey schrieb:
Jens Müller wrote:
Eric Vey schrieb:
An excellent animated graphic depicting both.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/multimedi...animation.html

Umm ...

The "bike lane" is too small to drive on. It seems to mark the safety
distance to be kept from the parking cars.

That's what they look like here. They are typically 1.2 meters wide,
but in my city, they are .9 meters wide.

1.2 m right next to parking cars marks the zone not to drive on, as well.

Bike lanes that run next to parallel parking are just plain dumb. But
there they are. And if you don't use the bike lane when there is one
there, then the motorists get mad at you. There is no legal requirement
to use a bike lane yet in this state, but in some states there are.

From that article I made that post about just for you:

Mandatory Bike Lane Use

Six states require cyclists to use the bike lane if one is marked on the
road (AL, CA, HI, MD, OR, PA). All of these rules, except Alabama's,
provide exceptions, as shown in Table 4.