Old May 28th 18, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default randonneur

On 27/05/18 23:49, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/27/2018 6:52 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:

The Fuji bike also has 36 spoke wheels, or as they put
it, it has

Â*Â*Â*Â* Vera Terra DPM18, double wall, 36/36h, Shimano
Â*Â*Â*Â* Deore hubs [1]

That sounds straightforward only why do they say "36"
twice? To say there are 36 holes on the hub as well?
Makes sense, right?

Or do they mean the front/rear wheel?

Perhaps someone got the idea to reinforce the rear
wheel with more spokes than the front ditto, e.g.
to have 36 rear and 32 front (or 28/32). Then you
could write the bike has 32/36h rims - practical!

Perhaps for randonneuring/heavy touring one would even
want 40 or 48 spokes on the rear wheel?

Back when the Earth was young, The Ancients discovered that 32h
front/40h rear is as close to perfect as one might imagine. Adds some
niggling cost and therefore abandoned.

Why not tow a trailer?

http://www.bobgear.com/bike-trailers/yak

No need for special racks and bags on the bike. By swapping the cranks
and cassette, I could use my otherwise regular road bike to go touring!

--
JS