Old June 26th 03, 09:07 AM
spademan o---[\) *

Default Fork question for Specialized expedition sport

Well theoretically, if an 80 mm travel fork like this:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?J2BC12E05
changed the geometry by a few degrees, couldn't I counter that change with

with a stem that has less of an upward angle. Or am I missing something
else too? Anyway, I realized that my current travel is 63mm, not 68mm.

So,
to go to 80mm would be adding approximately 3/4 of an inch rise to the

front
end. Anyway, I should do as you suggest and have things measured, but I'm
wondering about the stem idea.

Alan

The problem with adding a longer travel fork is not only the higher
handlebar position, which you correctly pointed out would be sorted by a
lower rise stem or maybe you could just lose a few spacers if there are any,
but also, and this is turning out to be the longest sentence in the history
of AMB, the longer fork will in theory decrease the head angle of the bike.
The head angle is a major factor in how easily the bike steers, steeper head
angle = faster steering, slacker = slower. Too steep and the bike will feel
twitchy - some folks like this, mainly xc riders, OTOH too slack and the
bike will be slow to steer but very stable at high speeds which is (one
reason) why DH bikes have slacker angles. Its a balance thing. I said in
theory because you may find that at rest a new fork is longer, but actually
has more sag than your old fork and so when you are sat on the bike the
angles all return to normal. In essence I am saying I have no clue whether a
new fork will screw up your bike or not. HTH!

Steve E.