Old February 6th 17, 06:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_3_]

Default AG: This tip probably doesn't apply at your house.

On Sun, 05 Feb 2017 23:41:13 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Feb 2017 16:24:02 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I would ask if a humidifier is actually necessary?

I suspect that you'd be more likely to need a de-humidifier.

Both of us get nosebleeds if the humidity isn't high enough, and his
are a laundry problem.

When we heated with a wood stove, the house didn't get dried out as
much as it did with central heat. It was also more comfortable,
because the sitting rooms were warmer than the working rooms.

My grandfather made a humidifier consisting of a narrow trough that
went between the coils of the radiator, with a small tank at the end.
I don't remember my parents doing anything about humidity. But we
lived in the kitchen and didn't heat the upstairs.

I suppose that our forced air would have dried the house more than
Grandfather's radiators.

When I was a kid both my grandparents still cooked and heated their
houses with wood stoves although they both had kerosene stoves for
cooking with when it was hot in the summer.

I remember my father's mother once complaining because my grandfather
hadn't split one of the required types of cooking wood :-) It seems
that to properly cook on a wood stove one requires two types of wood.

But back to heating, both grandparents actually heated the kitchen and
life in the "winter" was in the kitchen. Neither of them heated
bedrooms although my paternal grandparents had a stove "in the front
room" for "when people came to call"..

When one tells these kinds of stories now people look at you like you
are describing life on some distant planet :-) But strangely enough
people didn't seem to feel deprived of anything... that was just how
life was. But, I suppose that future generations may look back at
these times and wonder how anyone could get along without an
automobile that drives itself?

Totally off subject.

Do you know anything about permanent pressed shirts? By any name?

I ask as we are now retired and I don't work and my wife, of forty
years, is slowing down a bit too :-) I currently wear knit "golf"
shirts to reduce the ironing burden, but recently have been in a
couple of situations where I would have preferred to present a little
better image than Levi's and a golf shirt and was thinking of short
sleeve shirts with collars but they would need to be pressed after
washing and then I remembered "stay-pressed", or some such name,
shirts that supposedly didn't require ironing.

Looking on the Internet I find such things for $80 or $90 each, which
is a pretty large price when converted to local currency and have
asked at a couple of the larger department stores where everyone looks
at each in wonder. "What will these foreigners think of next?"

Any advise or information on the subject will be most greatly
appreciated.
--
Cheers,

John B.