Old December 17th 17, 04:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On 12/15/2017 7:40 PM, Oculus Lights wrote:

Call me to get accurate information about the parts in my lights and remove your posting and admit you were in error, or shut the **** up.

That's not too helpful. In any case, there is no way to remove a Usenet
posting.

I would respectfully suggest that you put that information on your web
site. Also, glaringly absent from your web site, is a "Specifications"
button, i.e. What is the output at each setting?

When I was evaluating integrated-battery lights, I chose the Lezyne
Decadrive 1500XXL. The Oculus looked good also, but I liked some things
about the Lezyne better. Ended up buying two of them, along with extra
aluminum mounts for other bicycles.

1500XXL Positives
-----------------
1. Metal enclosure. Being an engineer, and dealing with thermal issues
on a continuous basis for 25+ years, and having experienced LED failures
from heat, the Lezyne design appealed to me more due to their thermal
solution, even though it adds weight,

2. Mounts. Leyzne offers an aluminum handlebar mount
http://www.lezyne.com/product-led-acc-alhandlebrmt.php. You can have
these mounts on each bicycle and it's faster reattaching a strap every
time it's removed (and unlike lights with separate battery packs, you
remove integrated-battery lights a LOT).

3. Specs. Lezyne specifies the lumens at each setting. Their web site is
very informative.

4. Beam pattern. Sufficient side spill and sufficient top beam.

5. Micro USB rechargable, high-current charger available.

6. Price. The Lezyne Decadrive 1500XXL sells for under $100.
http://www.masherz.com/products/lezyne/superdrive1500xxlheadlightblack.htm

1500XXL Negatives
-----------------
1. Can't swap batteries in the field. While it's not that difficult to
take it apart to replace batteries that have lost capacity, you would
obviously not do that while out on a ride. However their newer model,
the Decadrive 1500i (not the one I have) has an option for connecting an
external power pack
http://www.lezyne.com/product-led-acc-infinitelightpwrpk.php to extend
the range. Still, that's a lot more expensive than carrying an extra
18650 or 26650 cell.

2. DRL flash lumens is only 150.

3. Mode switch is difficult to get the light into the preferred mode.

4. Heavy at 267.6 grams (9.4 ounces).

5. Charger not included.

Oculus Positives
----------------
1. Swappable batteries.

2. Excellent beam, though I like the upward spill of the Lezyne better
because in my area there are a lot of low hanging trees near the road
shoulder.

3. Slightly lighter than the Lezyne, at 1/2 pound (according to one
review--specs not available on Oculus site), due to plastic construction.

4. High-current charger included.

5. Option to use either 26650 or 18650 battery.

Oculus Negatives
----------------
1. Plastic construction.

2. No permanent mount available, you have to strap and unstrap it every
time.

3. Unknown specs. If the specs are on that gawd-awful web site
somewhere, I can't find them.

4. Charger is not Micro USB, so a need to carry a separate charger on tours.

5. 50% more expensive.

I also have to say, with all due respect to Barry, that the Oculus web
site almost certainly scares many potential customers away. It's very
poorly done and unprofessional.

Specifically:

1. Lack of specs. What is the output at each setting? What is the
weight? How long can it run at full output before it automatically
reduces the output due to heat?

2. The claim that a U.S. patent is proof of anything is ludicrous to
anyone that knows anything about the USPO.

3. The video that starts playing immediately is annoying. The lack of
specifications is suspicious.

4. I feel like I'm on one of those infomercial web sites.

5. Testimonials are the weakest form of advertising, and scares buyers away.