Old February 1st 08, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe[_2_]

Default Belt Drives - the future?

Peter Clinch wrote:
Mark T wrote:
www.bikebiz.com/news/29367/Carbon-belt-drives-are-standardised

Now that there's a new standard out there, does anything stand in
their way?

Initially, inertia from the innate conservatism of the bike market.
There will naturally be suspicion of a New! Improved! Thing replacing
something that, for all its faults, works pretty well and we're
familiar with it. Fixing something that doesn't seem to be borken,
in other words.

It will be a shame if belt drives just die through the conservatism of the
bike market. For a utility bike, a belt makes a lot of sense - no oil and
should last longer. I can see how it may work well off-road. I can't see
it ending up on race/audax machines (even though it is carbon fibre!),
except, possibly, in the recumbent arena.

But it will be some years in changing.

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/