Old November 13th 07, 10:23 AM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jeff Grippe

Default Anyone ride through the 1st Ave tunnel by the UN?

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

Jeff, if you can't get out and walk easily I will admit you are in
trouble. I think that is the one thing we humans have to do in order to
maintain our health. Ever notice how those who are confined to a bed or a
wheelchair never live very long?

I think I would work on getting back the ability to walk above all else.
Surely there is a physical therapy or a prosthetic device available that
could help you.

I can walk. It is slow and unpleasant. I've already been through 18 months
of PT which brought me as far as I've come today. There is a prosthetic
device. I have one. It is a case of the cure being worse than the disease.
The device is a brace and the improvement is minimal. The brace picks up the
front of my foot but it doesn't make the nerves fire that won't fire. The
brace is only the slightest of improvements.

I can and do exercise using machines and I am able to get an adequate
workout. I wasn't talking about physical fitness, which I am able to
maintain but rather about recreation. Cycling has never been about fitness
for me. Fitness was always a side effect. Cycling is something I have loved
to do since the first time I got on a bike as an adult. Before getting
married I used to bike just about everywhere and I got out every weekend. I
met my wife on a bike and she loves it as much as I do. Before children the
two of us biked often. Even after our son was born, we would plan bike trips
when we could. For example:

http://groups.msn.com/grippesphotos/railtrail2005.msnw

This is a safe link ed. It is to my photos on MSN.

So the loss of cycling would be huge but I don't concede the fight by a long
shot.

Jeff