Old November 13th 07, 01:46 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

Default Anyone ride through the 1st Ave tunnel by the UN?

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message
[...]
I can and do exercise using machines and I am able to get an adequate
workout. I wasn't talking about physical fitness, which I am able to
maintain but rather about recreation. Cycling has never been about fitness
for me. Fitness was always a side effect. Cycling is something I have
loved to do since the first time I got on a bike as an adult. Before
getting married I used to bike just about everywhere and I got out every
weekend. I met my wife on a bike and she loves it as much as I do. Before
children the two of us biked often. Even after our son was born, we would
plan bike trips when we could. For example:

http://groups.msn.com/grippesphotos/railtrail2005.msnw

This is a safe link ed. It is to my photos on MSN.

So the loss of cycling would be huge but I don't concede the fight by a
long shot.

Yes, I always cycled for enjoyment too, not fitness. But still it was a nice
side benefit to get. Now, however, I must admit I cycle more for fitness
than I do enjoyment. Trust me on this, cycling enjoyment does not continue
forever.

Just being able to walk is not enough. You have to be able to walk
continuously for a period of time (minimum 1 hour). It is something you do
for fitness, not enjoyment (unless you are hiking in the mountains of
course). However, if you can listen to music while you are doing it, it is
not so bad.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka