Old May 10th 17, 06:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default 14 year-old Campy Record shifts like new...

On Tue, 09 May 2017 15:36:02 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 09 May 2017 15:05:56 +0700, John B.
wrote:

snipped

Actually the 265's were the big deal. When they first appeared a
fellow installed a bog standard 265 in a gas fuel, non blown, dragster
chassis and brought it out to the strip. He whipped every V-8 Ford
that would run against him. The next month there were more Chevy
engines and it wasn't long before the Ford flat head was a museum
item.

I suspect that the very first 283's were probably some of the 265 boys
that owned a boring bar :-)

If it overheated a lot, it was likely a bored 265. The 283 block was
modified to allow the larger bore without making the cyl walls too
thin. (different sand cores were designed for the castings)

Yes, certainly.

But when you are only running a quarter of a mile over heating isn't
quite as important ;-) In fact there was a guy, in L.A. I believe,
that started making solid aluminum "Hemi's" for the "AA fuelers", now
called Top Fuel, I believe, which apparently is still the practice
today.

In the early days the guys running the bored out 365's used to argue
that the block was lighter :-) But it was noticeable that they all
went to the 283 blocks as soon as then accumulated a bit of spare
cash. Then, of course there were those that stroked the 283's :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.