Old May 5th 19, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Bikes are not special

When the first roundabout in town was built, there was much fuss and
feathers over how confusing it would be until people learned the
arcane new rules.

But roundabouts function by exactly the same rule as everywhere else:
if there is no "yield" sign, the vehicle in the road and moving has
right-of-way over the vehicle that wants to enter.

I will confess that the first time I encountered the roundabout, I
pulled into a parking lot and studied it for a while before I
re-entered the roadway and went through.

And a couple of years later, I felt rather queer again the first time
I went through it in a car.

And now, every time I stop at the light at the intersection of Park,
Winona, Argonne, and King's Highway, I shout "Come on, Roundabout!"
It's on the town's to-do list, but it's going to take a while to raise
the money.

Whenever people get confused over the rules of the road for bicycles,
it's because they are trying to make it too complicated. A bike is a
vehicle, and it follows vehicle rules: slower traffic keep right,
turn left from the left-turn lane, be alert at intersections and don't
enter when it isn't your turn, get out of the way of emergency
vehicles, don't zig-zag, don't ride into the side of a moving train.

We really, really need signs up saying that there is a fine for
crashing into the side of a train. The last time this happened, the
newspaper actually referred to the miscreant as "the victim" of the
"accident"!

And, as far as the Time-Union knows, all he's going to be charged with
is public intoxication.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGESEW/