Old July 22nd 17, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Handlebar rotation

On 7/22/2017 9:11 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/22/2017 3:32 AM, Jon B. Slocomb wrote:

With all the terror stories about the wars (by the way I also served
in the Korean war) why can't I speculate on those who shout Danger!
Danger! when they see a bicycle?

There's a pathology in our culture which paints soldiers as victims,
made from wholecloth. It's worse every year.

On one hand, I don't want to disrespect those who served in the
military. I didn't, but my wife did. My father earned a purple heart.

But ISTM that except in times of draft, joining up is an economic
decision, especially if we accept a broad definition of economics. I
know guys who enlisted because the GI Bill would help pay for college,
or help with a home loan. And of course, there are guys who enlist in
order to shake off their own bad behavior or bad associations. And that
often works. They made their decision based on the benefits they
expected, not because they wanted or expected to give their life for
their country.

Besides, most people with military experience saw no more hazards than
the average auto mechanic. Is it time for auto mechanics to get the
fancy T-shirts, the discounts on coffee, and the "Thanks for your (auto)
service"?

--
- Frank Krygowski